Tuesday, May 15, 2012

     I love this song but the video makes no sense. Even after replaying it a few dozen times, it still makes no sense. I would understand that he's at a payphone but the rest, no. Why is he running away from the cops when he works for the bank? He doesn't even look like a robber and the police still attempt to chase him down. Also, the song lyrics evoke a depressing feeling. When the modern music joins in, the feeling subtly disappears but it's still evident. I guess catches the ear better and makes it more catchy. That's what most mainstream songs are for anyways.When they include the video, it throws everyone off like said before. They use two cliches in the video, a bank robbery and car chase. They don't even relate to the song.  They assume media finds those two things entertaining I guess. By the end, it looks hopeless for him. The only thing that can help him is the payphone. It's what the song is trying to say! I'm assuming that the video is a diversion except for the scenes of the payphone. We may over think it and transfer the cliches to the payphone. Maybe they want us to think that the cliches can be dealt with via payphone.
    I'll cut some slack for the creators though. I don't want to criticize their masterpiece TOO much.

1 comment:

  1. This was my first time actually seeing this music video. I actually liked it. However, I don't really know if I agree with your opinion because I'm kind of confused on what you meant. But, I think this music video used the technique of gestalt. They used multiple and weird angles, including close ups on Wiz Khalifa and the flying chopper. Then, what I believe was the subliminal persuasion in this music video, is the consumerism of cars. I mean you obviously have the ford police cars, but you also have the 1966 Chevy Cobra. Such a beautiful thing! It looks quite badass to be honest and I feel like I need one now. I suppose that this music video was intentionally made for men, since it uses appeals such as the "need to aggress". This is shown when the car chase takes place and the gunfight or robbery occurs. It's just so intense and dramatic, making it very effective. Good job Matt!

    ReplyDelete