Over the entire course of media studies, I grew more and more adaptive to what I consume, and how I consume it. Because I'm bombarded with advertisements and marketing everyday and every second, the necessity has risen to the point where my understanding of it should be maximized and fully cooperative. The amount of media I consume impacts my life to a high degree. The average teenager is exposed to about three thousand ads a day. Media can often change my values as a person and sometimes, my life. Being exposed to such matter isn't said to be dangerous but it does seem like it in my view. Because I think of media as a passive enemy, I tend to subconsciously divert my attention towards something else. Sometimes, it may become impossible to do either of the two as media is everywhere, even in people. The clothes they wear, the foods they eat, even the things they do have much obligation with media. If I was going to live, I must adapt even further with this media.
Being aware of media helps me adapt with it. My interactions have been more strict and I think about it more often. I'm more aware of the techniques advertisers use and why. They could be using it because of the target audience or it could be because of whatever their product is. For example, advertisers might be wanting to sell a new never before seen product. They will lean towards avante garde because it may have futuristic features and it'll put users ahead of the times. I know beforehand that this product will most likely not put me ahead of the times because it's just a simply a product. How can it put me ahead of the times? It's impossible.
My media consumption habits definitely have changed this semester. It's evident because whenever I'm watching favorite show on television, I automatically think of techniques and appeals being used in the shown commercials. It may even be a bad habit sometimes because I'd say it out loud. But for the most part, I like the fact that I'm able to distinguish those techniques in commercials. They allow me to finally enjoy watching them compared to last semester.
Media literacy is important because it comes with the skill to work with or against media. I don't want to be trapped in a world of media where I lack that certain knowledge. I'd be an easier victim which is the last thing I need. That's also why being an educated consumer is highly important. With the right education, you could worry less about what you're buying and become one of those smart shoppers everyone looks up to.
Keeping this log has given me that knowledge to be closer yet more distant with media. I say distant because I've grown to react more negatively to it. Keeping this log also renders a gateway to the ideal smart shopper. By interacting with media using this log, it's changed my mindset both good and bad. Good in the sense that I'm no longer feeling overwhelmed by my surrounding environment, and bad because I now know the fact that it will always stay there.
No comments:
Post a Comment